Monday, January 19, 2015

TJ: Mini-Sea: #2

Aquarium Status

Well, Results are In!

Tested my water today.


The tests and my interpretation of the levels. Let me know if you guys think I may be interpreting the colors wrong.

So the parameters are as below:
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 5.0ppm
pH: 8.0
kH: 9
Calcium: 640.

Yes, calcium is surprisingly at 640. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there, but I have used this water before and each time it is tested, the result is above 600, from around 620 to 660. Whilst I highly doubt it, it is not impossible. Sydney Harbour is highly contaminated and usually have elevated levels of metals. Will bring in a sample to a LFS and have them test it out.

Otherwise, everything else is lower than expected. I would have thought ammonia would be higher, but nope. There's also quite a bit of nitrate and phosphate. I was hoping the macroalgae should be able to uptake much of that. Then again, the macroalgae is in recovery mode (as they were half dead and dried when I found them on the beach), so maybe it'll take a while. We'll see.

Because of the levels above, I did add quite a bit more pureed marinara mix in.

Tested the water about 30 minutes after, and ammonia was at 0.25ppm still.

After about two hours, ammonia was at around 0.5ppm.

Assuming there's really not a lot of microbe in there at the moment (i.e. they all died over the holidays), there should be an ammonia spike.

No comments:

Post a Comment